Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Johnny Questionmark "Falling In Like" Review

First things first this is going to be my first ever real review of a CD. In the past I did what I like to call lyrical breakdowns. That is where I take a song from an album and write my own interpretation of the song while I was listening to it at the time. It seemed to be well received and people enjoyed them. But this is going to be a full CD review with I hope a sort of review on each track. I hope I can do the CD justice. Ok then onto the review.
Falling in Like is an album you wasn’t expecting coming from a person you may or may not have known about in the past. First off this album holds nothing back. Johnny Questionmark comes out swinging and it really shows. This album is a labor of love. It found life on Kickstarter and did amazingly for a relatively unknown rapper from Minnesota. Johnny was one half of the Minnesota rap group Playaz Lounge Crew (PLC). They had a pretty good following and some great music. They lost out on getting signed to a Psychopathic Records to Axe Murder Boys. This reviewer is actually pretty happy they didn’t win even thought their talent was much better than AMB. It is hard telling what we would have gotten if they would have gotten signed. Ok enough boasting about PLC or Johnny here is a review of his debut solo album “Falling In Like.”
I can go on and on about each track on this album but I will highlight a few tracks and then give my final thoughts on the album. The album starts off with the track Written In Lights. This track is featured in Season 6 of the YouTube series Lights and a Backdrop (link to video will be placed at the end of this review.)  Before the album came out I listened to this track a lot. It’s a great opening track to start off this album with. The track plays off like an anthem, and expresses it in the chorus, “we ain’t quitting until it’s written in lights.” This track also gives the listener a glimpse to who Johnny is and that he isn’t going to stop regardless the hardships that come about. The record starts off strong and keeps getting stronger from there.
Each track holds its ground on this album. The track 6,7,8 has to be my favorite on the album. With some amazing lyrics, amazing production from Caesar, and very catchy chorus it’s hard not to like this track. “So hit me once and call it nothing but beginners luck. And begging for attention wishing I would give a fuck.” This track was on heavy repeat for a long time, and each time I listened to it I didn’t grow tired of it.
The next track I want to high light is Whiskey featuring Dood Computer from Albany. For those who that know me knows I am a huge supporter of Dood Computer’s music, and have shown, shared, and forced everyone to listen to his music. This track is a perfect drinking song produced by Lazerbeak of Doomtree fame. The production on this track is top notch and so are the lyrics from both Johnny and Dood. The track Hang With Us features Mac Lethal, and it’s another drinking song.  This track is a little more upbeat. Again Johnny shines with this track, and so does Mac. It has another catchy chorus and top notch production.
The cd ends with the track Not Coming Back. It’s a perfect ending to this cd. The track is just Johnny talking about losing someone in your life. Relationships end and in the chorus Johnny basically talks about no matter how much you drink they are not coming back. The production is a slow beat that goes really well with Johnny’s words.

I only highlighted a couple tracks off this cd, but honestly every track on this cd is amazing and holds its own. Johnny shines on everything he touches on this cd and his hard work really shows in this cd. One thing that kills me about most radio rap is that it lacks heart, and most people don’t understand my hate for it. This cd to me is better than anything I have ever heard on the radio because it has heart. The track MN Mean (Touble) is a good example of where music is heading to, and Johnny expresses his feelings on stuff being dumbed down for the masses. You can tell that Johnny loves what he is doing and that music is his passion. There is no stopping him now. Johnny Questionmark is a force to be reckoned with. The bottom line is that this cd is just the start and the next thing his does is going to be even better. For those inspiring artist that listen to this cd be sure to take notes, because you can learn a thing or two. Just remember don’t listen with your wallet listen with your heart. This album is one of my top albums of the year, and will be for years to come. This cd is a buy for anyone who is a fan of PLC, or of rap with heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment